We are a diverse team from around the world, working together with a shared vision to raise the standard of trust online. Join our team as a UI and visual designer who is up for the challenge to lead and transform the DuckDuckGo experience across all of our products.
As part of our small-but-growing design team, you will be collaborating with team members at all levels to continually enhance the relevancy, usability, and design of our search engine and privacy tools. You will be involved in the entire design process, from ideation to execution. You will have a voice in all product decisions, both big and small.
We are a remote company, meaning our employees can work wherever they want around the world. We empower our team to be self-directed and self-motivated in their projects. If that seems awesome and you like the idea of our core values -- build trust, question assumptions, and validate direction -- you'll fit right in.
What you will do:
- Propose and execute pixel perfect designs that evolve our current visual design and solve challenging problems for our users
- Own your design process, communicating your plan and choices, supported by mock-ups and prototypes
- Represent the design team when partnering with engineers to explore and execute new features and products
- Manage projects, from scoping through implementation, while communicating updates to our remote team
What we are looking for:
- You have a proven track record with 7+ years of related product design experience which is demonstrated by an exceptional portfolio of distinctive work that shows your high standard of craft and ability solve challenging problems
- You can challenge our visual style, creating mock-ups that push our current way of thinking
- You are proficient in current design (e.g., Adobe creative suite and Sketch) and prototyping tools (e.g., InVision, Framer, Principle) and use them to communicate ideas with your team and test with users
- You’re able to adapt designs across a variety of platforms and devices, and understand their opportunities and limitations
- You have a general understanding of front-end development and implementation
- You have excellent communication skills and can clearly articulate design decisions
- You think at a high level about creative strategy and vision, but can also execute based on provided direction
- You are able to use both qualitative and quantitative metrics to validate design decisions
- You have an eagerness to be transparent with your work, welcoming and navigating critique with colleagues
- You have proven project management experience, such as contributing towards project plans and defining requirements
Other things to know:
- We are a small, remote team in different time zones and communicate with a variety of tools throughout the day. Ideally, you will feel comfortable with the intricacies of this type of work situation.
- Sometimes we meet up! You can expect to travel at least 2x a year: once for our all-hands meetup and another for a team retreat ( Each ~5 days)
- We want to have a major impact on raising the standard of trust online. To do this we believe in a focused approach, and work on a single top priority at a time.
- Our work philosophy is built upon empowered project management. Anyone and everyone can (and should) ask questions and offer feedback around the product and internal projects.
- We are open to sharing ideas and challenging the status quo regardless of your internal role. We encourage you to participate in areas of interest throughout the company.
- We try to exemplify our values (build trust, question assumptions, and validate direction) in everything we do, and hope you will too!
DuckDuckGo does not work with any recruiting agencies or services. A big part of our culture is to work with each candidate on a one-to-one basis throughout our unique hiring process.
DuckDuckGo provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment, and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
If you think you might thrive in this environment, we would love to hear from you using the application below.